Monday, July 27, 2009

Teaching Covention in a State- Mandated Testing Context- Bobbie Warne- Reflection

Bonnie's presence inspiring to me, her passion for teaching, and how she deals with the standardized state test,the strategy for approching and praising her high school students in the writing process, helps me to to understand how special is our profession. Her methods are worthy to imitate. Now I can grasp better when she states: "writing is as essential to language arts as breathing to life" This is a good philosophical definition from someone that really has a deep concern about writing and about the students.
When I took a Literacy Methods for Content Learning class, the students who where studing P.E. did not believe that the class was important. They argued that they didn't need to know all the details about writing, because it would not be use in P.E. It seems like some students and some teachers still believe that learning about writing is strictly for English Teachers, which is an erroneous premise. If all the teachers from different subjects will apply a strategy for reading and writing the same as English teachers does,the difficulties with writing will be less problematic.

3 comments:

  1. I love her attitude and how she's not afraid to "stick it to the man." She has inspired me as well as you! I'm glad we were able to meet her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is realistic to. Sometimes you HAVE to teach to the test and would be irresponsible to do otherwise!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tara--I'm right with you about responsibility! I always have to remind myself of all of mine--towards students, colleagues, the university, etc.

    ReplyDelete