Thursday, July 16, 2009

Reaffirming The Writing Workshop For Young Adolescents-Reflection

In this article, Lain presents good ideas for the writing workshop. I like Lisa Fink's idea to encourage the children for digging into details, where students write the story of their own names, after read "Esperanza" by Sandra Cisneros.With this lesson, the students investigate the meanings and origins of their names and explore personal history and tradition. Personally is a good way to create interest in the students to continue writing. I will apply this approach with my children but with the parent's help.
Another strategy that I should apply in my classroom is:structuring writing workshop; she mention "On the first day of the school, I hand out the essential textbook for my writing classroom-a blank spiral notebook or academic journal" As we discuss in class, the purpose of the journal is to provide a place to create rough drafts and also offers a safe place to practice writing.For me, what Lain said is so importantant and critical, because we need to let the students know from the first day of the school what your expectations is as a teacher and the roles that the students need to be responsable for.

3 comments:

  1. I agree that starting right in with writing on Day 1 reaffirms for students that they are in a space where writing is valued and will be one of the most important things they do. It starts to build an environment in which they begin to consider themselves in the role of writers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the story Esperanza!! It was one of my favorite to read to the fifth grade class I had in my internship. I think it was very powerful to present the idea that we have varied backgrounds, that you cannot assume you know a persons background and to give purpose for writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this story also. I am going to go back and do it again this fall with my students. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete