Sunday, July 26, 2009

I AM FROM

I am from books, lotto tickets and magazines,
unique bookstore smell of papers, and aromatic kitchen
fresh wheat bread, yellow potato and green of corn fields,
chasing chickens and bursting silky feathers, and a tug of war pig tales.

I am from parties and Virgen de las Mercedes celebrations; music and dance of huaynos, marineras and tangos;
trips to Paltay family land, a room filled with good ghosts and bedtime stories,
I am from the exotic luisa herbal tea, whose is sturdy trunk shot from the ground with slight aroma blended with allspice and clove,
Whose long limbs I remember as if they were my own.

I am from Three Billy-Goats Gruff fairy tale that my dad whispered in my ears with a soft voice,
lora la habladora and nawerona,
the eyes, voice, heart of Otilia, Jose, Tono, Julie, Juancito, Papito, Mechona, Luchito and Mocochon,
I am from photo albums and boxes of pictures in my mom's night drawer oh memories! Oh memories! When I close my eyes they are streaming with tears.

I am from sunday mass and angels dress up in processions, with sweet deserts as rewards,
I am from singing songs, rosary beads, and prayers whispered quietly while kneeling next to a bed,
I am from the majesty black and white mountains Huaraz, Inca gold and Spanish blood,
Bible that my grandfather read and preached and the verses that were written with very small handwriting.

I am from the day like a nightmare, where my litle sister and I saw astonished how the ceiling and walls went swinging everywhere and the people yelled: help! help! earthquake! My heart mas dying like a sundown in the ocean,
I am from the prophetic moments of the day that I lost my dear brother.
That was the day that I will never forget.

1 comment:

  1. beautiful - i love the way you use the senses. I smell the fresh bread and i feel the silky feathers.

    ReplyDelete