Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Another look at Grades and Grating- Ruth Ann Blynt- Reflection

The author states:"If we truly to foster lifetime learning, then we cannot contribute to the "there, I've got it, I don't need to work any more" attitude. If we honestly value process over product, and this world demands that we do, then we have to change the way me divvy up the rewards." I totally agree with Blynt. When we are grading our students, we need to evaluate their interest for learning, their desire to achieve their objectives, and the most importantly not just let the students study or learn for the moment but learn for the future.
In my first years of teaching, I used grading to assess the students on what thay had learned, given them opportunities to fix their grades for the moment of evaluation, because I was afraid that they'd catalog me as a bad teacher if I had some students with low grades.
Now with more years of experience I see grading as useful feedback of how much my students have learned and how much I learned myself. The students need to be critical with their own process of learning.
For me, all the assessments need to have a purpose and goal, but the most important grading needs to be motivation for our students rather than frustation.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that the students need to take ownership of their learning, but that can't occur until teachers release ownership. Lack of grades on everything results in more motivation. What kind of assessments do you find most effective?

    ReplyDelete