Friday, July 17, 2009

After THe End Reflection Chapter XI

In this chapter what I found useful for me to apply in my classroom is the retelling of the fairy tale from differents points of view.
Lane states: "Writers who write whith voice or expresive tono constantly make choices that reflect a personal interes in their subject." Here it is how I will do it: Let them choose a book and read to them portions of it with a strong voice,(always Children like this)and talk about the qualities and how their voice reveals them. Then, they can imitate their voice of any character from the story, and make up their own story like: "I'm Litle Riding Hood and I will tell you a story." The imitation is always playful. I like the idea of finding voice by putting masks, pretending to be annimals,people even things (pencil, crayons, paper, etc)that make their character alive also. At the early ages children like to be on the stage to perform any kind of dream or goal of theirs. I can take advange of that to identify the character of the story that they'rereenacting in their own voice.

2 comments:

  1. Gloria,
    So true, so true. Even older kids enjoy a picture book read with enthusiasm and expression. It gives them such strong modeling for both reading and writing. (I must admit, I still like it too!)I have used this strategy with point of view in young adult lit and it really helps them flesh out character traits and motivation. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might try recording their reading. It's quite an interesting thing to hear your own voice outside of your head. Then you really hear how strong/weak, fast/slowly, etc., that you sound. Personally I still like picture books, and my son always asks when we're reading a "Hardy Boys" novel if there are any pictures in that chapter. He likes to preview them, and he's 10.

    ReplyDelete